[imp] Headers decoding

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Fri Oct 26 15:36:59 UTC 2007

On 17.10.07 22:48, Han Spruyt wrote:
> An encoded string in a From: header like this:
>
> From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?T=EBst 1=2C Student?= <student at domain.com>
>
> is parsed like Tëst 1, Student <student at domain.com>
>
> So, the display name is not between quotes. It is fed like this in the
> address processing causing headaches of course because of the comma
> being an address separator.
>
> Searching the internet I found several statements that the
> encoding(whithout quotes) is RFC compliant, but not being an RFC
> expert at all.....

After some searching in RFC2822 it seems to me that the coma character in
address fields is used as address separator. see sections 3.6.2 and 3.6.3
(originator and destination fields) plus 3.4 (address specification).
The ',' may appear in address, if it's in quoted string.

> Did I hit a bug in IMP/Horde here or does Exchange spin sending this?

exchange uses to separate users with ; because it uses , as separator in
fullnames. Yes, it sucks. However looking at mails from our exchange (2000)
server, all comas in From: are in quoted strings.

Micro$oft random number generator: 0, 0, 0, 4.33e+67, 0, 0, 0...