[imp] Subject line encoding problem

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at DRAKE.EDU
Thu Dec 6 15:14:38 UTC 2007

Hello. I've recently discovered an issue with Subject line encoding on
our webmail server. It runs Horde 3.1.5 and Imp 4.1.5 (also Ingo 1.1.4
and Turba 2.1.5, though i doubt the problem is with one of those). The
problem is that for some encodings the Subject line is not encoded
correctly.

For testing, i sent a message 3 times, each time selecting a different
encoding. In both the Subject and the body i typed "日本語" ("Japanese
language" in Japanese). I repeated the same test with kmail, a desktop
e-mail client.

With Horde/Imp:

Encoding      Subject line
-----------   ----------------------------------
ISO-8859-1    ???
UTF-8         =?utf-8?b?5pel5pys6Kqe?=
ISO-2022-JP   =?UNKNOWN?Q?=1B$BF|K=5C8l=1B=28B?=

For both UTF-8 and ISO-2022-JP, the message body came through perfectly.
For ISO-8859-1, the body just contained 3 question marks (but that
seems understandable since 日本語 cannot be represented in ISO-8859-1).
But the Subject line for ISO-2022-JP does not display correctly when
the message is received. I'm not sure what encoding Imp put it in, and
from its own use of "UNKNOWN" it looks like Imp wasn't so sure either.

With Kmail:

Encoding      Subject line
-----------   ----------------------------------
ISO-8859-1    =?iso-2022-jp?b?GyRCRnxLXDhsGyhC?=
UTF-8         =?utf-8?b?5pel5pys6Kqe?=
ISO-2022-JP   =?iso-2022-jp?b?GyRCRnxLXDhsGyhC?=

Kmail's handling of ISO-8859-1 was odd. I specifically asked for
ISO-8859-1, but Kmail switched the subject encoding to ISO-2022-JP. It
did encode the body as ISO-8859-1, turning it into question marks (as
Imp did), but only after displaying a warning that it was going to do
so.

Both Horde/Imp and Kmail handled UTF-8 perfectly.

But note the difference in ISO-2022-JP. Kmail encoded the Subject as
well as the body in that encoding, as one would expect. But Horde/Imp
mangled the Subject.

I've been through the settings looking for some knob to turn to fix
this. Is there a setting i've overlooked? If so, what is it?

Also, why does Horde/Imp require the user to select the encoding in the
first place? Desktop clients usually select the most appropriate
encoding automatically. Kmail, for instance, usually uses either
US-ASCII or ISO-8859-1. But if i type some Japanese characters into an
e-mail, it automatically switches to ISO-2022-JP (the most common
encoding for Japanese e-mail). I'm sending this message from Kmail as
UTF-8.