[imp] Subject line encoding problem

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at DRAKE.EDU
Thu Dec 6 17:13:52 UTC 2007

On Thursday 06 December 2007 10:01, Jan Schneider wrote:
>When trying to reproduce this, the iso-2022-jp test results in the
>subject not being encoded properly at, but sent as-is. Both is
>obviously a bug, so please create a ticket on bugs.horde.org.

I've created a report with ticket ID 5972. Thank you!

>PHP doesn't support automatic detecting of charsets, and it's even
>much more complicated to detect it client-side, i.e. when typing the
>message. We already do choose the most appropriate encoding though,
>because we choose the encoding that matches the currently selected
>interface language.

After thinking about it a bit more, i think Imp's behavior is
reasonable, given the difficulty of automatic encoding detection. In my
desktop client, there is a (user-specified) list of encodings to try
and it goes down the list and uses the first encoding that can
represent the entire message. But the general case of automatically
choosing an encoding out of all possible encodings would be quite
difficult to do algorithmically. Maybe someday everyone will just use
UTF-8 (or some successor that might be better).