[imp] Importing GPG-Public Key not (always) working

Peter Meier peter.meier at immerda.ch
Tue Jan 15 00:10:43 UTC 2008

Hi

we are using the gpg functionality in imp since ages. It seemed to work
perfectly. However currently we are having the problem that users are
reporting that they aren't able to import public-keys into their
keyrings. We tested that and there seems to be the problem that when
importing keys into the already existing and filled keyring they simple
don't appear, as well that no error message is shown (same behaviour in
an empty keyring). we also weren't able to find any errors in horde.log,
php.log nor in apache-error_log.

However we could import some other keys, while othere were failing. The
successfull one were all exported in one account, copied to clipboard
and then pasted in another account. But not every key like that worked!
And as well we couldn't import a single key exported from a local
gnupg-cmd-line tool. However in our opinion they all seem to be valid.
We also couldn't find any obvious signs why the import of one could fail
while the export from another would fail (exported from the same
horde-imp-gpg keyring, imported in the same another horde-gpg-keyring).

As well we tested to import the failed keys on the machines itself with
the cmd-line tool and this worked. so key should be valid and gpg working.

the only thing we realised is that successfull importing keys take quite
some times. while a failed import quits immediatly and refreshed the
gpg-options page. (with no error message)

anybody any ideas why this could fail, as well how we could examine this
problem more in detail. as already mentioned not a single log entry why
something could fail. there is simply no message, while after a
successfull import the key is in the keyring as well there is a postive
message.

we are using the latest stable versions of horde and imp (as well the
other apps) and a gnupg version < 2.0

many thanks and greets pete