[imp] How to create a 'system maintenance' popup

Tom Leach leach at coas.oregonstate.edu
Thu Jan 17 18:06:28 UTC 2008

I've poked around the mailing lists, FAQ and Wiki, but I can't find any
info on what should be a fairly routine issue.
I need to find a way to send an alert (popup preferably) to everyone who
is currently logged in to the IMP system (a subset of my IMAP users) to
inform them on impending system maintenance (ie: a popup about the
server going down in 5 minutes).
I don't want to send an IMAP alert since I only need to bring down the
IMP web server and not the IMAP server.
I don't want to just send mail to the people who are currently logged in
since they may not have new mail notifications turned on.

I'm looking for something like 'shutdown' on Unix systems that can send
a message out to everyone currently logged in.

Thanks for any pointers.
Tom Leach
leach at coas.oregonstate.edu