[imp] applications "sensing" if they're called from DIMP?

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Thu Jan 24 17:40:26 UTC 2008

Zitat von Liam Hoekenga <liamr at deathstar.org>:

> Is there a way for another horde application to know that it's being
> called from within DIMP / is beind displayed in the DIV on the right
> side of the DIMP screen?

Unfortunately not.

> Say you've configured Turba such that...
>
>      $conf['menu']['apps'] = array( 'imp' );
>
> And you've configured DIMP such that...
>
>      $conf['menu']['apps'] = array( 'turba' );
>
> In DIMP, a user follows the "Address Book" link in the "action" pane
> (the pane on the left), or the "Address Book" tab in the "display" pane
> (the pane on the right).  They the Turba menu bar in DIMP's right pane,
> and decide that the way to get back to their mail is to follow the
> "Mail" button in Turba's menu bar... and now they're displaying
> traditional IMP inside of the "display" pane, which I think is a
> potential cause for confusion.

Why do you display IMP in the menu then?

> I kind of feel that it would make more sense if an application could
> tell that it's embedded in DIMP's "display" pane, and then for that app
> to not populate it's own menu with options that are already available
> from DIMP's "action" pane.  I.e.  if you load Turba within DIMP, it
> doesn't display the contents of Turba's $conv['menu']['apps'] *and* it
> probably shouldn't show the "Options" button on Turba's menu.  It may
> seem flexible to offer things in both locations, but I think it's going
> to confuse users.

That makes sense, but is not so easy, because - see your first question.

> Might it also be possible to wrap the embedded applications such that
> DIMP's display "tabs" that show up at the of each embedded application?
> I.e. a user launches DIMP - they see three tabs - Home,  Filters,
> Address Book.  They go into Turba, and they still see the three tabs -
> above Turba's normal menu bar, only now, "Address Book" is highlighted.

That would be nice, but isn't easily possible with the current DIMP UI.

> Or is it possible to turn off the "tabs", and only have other
> applications show up in the "action" pane?

Yes, through a custom css. Makes sense to have this as a preference intead.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/