[imp] selecting IMP / DIMP / MIMP

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Fri Jan 25 04:05:30 UTC 2008

Quoting Liam Hoekenga <liamr at deathstar.org>:

> It looks like the normal way a user would select which version of the
> IMP interface they want to use (if multiple versions are installed) is
> via the login menu.
>
> For those of us skipping over the login menu via an authentication
> handler that makes the login screen redundant, how our users select
> their preferred interface?  Giving out the full URL seems clumsy, but
> the "Initial Application" preference only lists "Mail" as an option -
> not "Dynamic Mail" or "Mobile Mail".

I just looked, and this happens because registry.php has both mimp and
dimp as 'notoolbar' for status - the initial application pref looks
for just apps that are 'active'. I could see changing that, or, you
may want to change things so that they show up in the menu - that way
users would get a crude version of the "switch" links (as below).

> Maybe there should be links inside the application e.g. Hotmail's
> "Switch to classic" / "Try the full version"?

I'm not opposed, but I don't know offhand where we'd put that in IMP's
UI (or any of the others). A preference seems like a good option;
actually merging all 3 into a single distribution so we can ensure
they're available and act accordingly would probably help too.

-chuck