[imp] old "Empty Trash" button behavior

Tim Bannister Tim.Bannister at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Jan 31 10:32:37 UTC 2008

> And it is way too complicated to try to determine the reload URL for
> the current view (certain views may only be obtainable via a POST/GET
> request, for example).  So we compromised on showing the Trash folder
> since, after all, that is where the activity is taking place.  And
> what happens if emptying the folder isn't successful?  It makes much
> more sense to be taken to the trash in this situation.

That does seem like a compromise. I'm not really in favour of views that
come from a POST; they cause problems if (for example) the user wants to
bookmark the page.

It's no simple fix, but I think it is more helpful to users to perform
the requested action and then send the view back with a 303 status,
and with a Location: header giving the same view as a GET request. At
least for IMP, I cannot think of a POST request that needs to show a
specific result and can't redirect to a GET version.

--
Tim Bannister
Email system administrator

w: http://www.manchester.ac.uk/itservices