[imp] Urgent: Embedded Images in HTML messages

Gottschalk, David dgottsc at emory.edu
Mon Feb 4 15:34:54 UTC 2008

Thanks to everyone for their assistance with this issue. I've found the problem.

The problem was related to the address book. We had setup in the past a LDAP personal address book for our users to use. This queried a LDAP server that contained a directory of email addresses, names, etc. Sometime in the middle of last week, the connection between the web server that hosts the IMP client, and the ldap server started having problems. Now a connection isn't available at all.

Users than experienced messages with images inline the body, taking 3+ minutes to load. This happened because IMP checks the senders from address when images are present to determine whether it should display them immediately or not without asking the user.

Apparently, because the LDAP connection was broken, it was waiting to timeout until it displayed the message.

David Gottschalk
UTS Infrastructure Technology Services
david.gottschalk at emory.edu