[imp] Spamming using imp?

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Wed Feb 13 15:04:27 UTC 2008

Rajkumar S <rajkumars at asianetindia.com> wrote:

> Same here, accounts with same username and password. Are they using
> some sort of robot targeting Imp to spam? The user agents show Opera.

In cases I know of, they get the username and password from responses
to phishing spam.  They have software that can put data to Imp and
Squirrelmail very fast, to send mail.  The software creates an identity
(or is this part done by hand?), changing the sender to a throwaway
free email account, like yahoo or hotmail, and loading the message
text into the signature file.  They usually send to exactly 100
recipients at a time, but it can be fewer.  The total number of
recipients can run to 100,000.

Joseph Brennan
Lead Email Systems Engineer