[imp] Mail clients and contact database lock-in

Michael Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Wed Feb 27 16:42:45 UTC 2008

Quoting Graeme Wood <Graeme.Wood at ed.ac.uk>:

> ACAP and IMSP were supposed to provide this kind of functionality. They
> were never taken up and the protocols are now moribund and no clients
> support them.

FWIW, horde supports IMSP address books in Turba, a Prefs backend, and
an Auth backend.  Of course, you'd also need support for it in your
other "gui client".  As far as I know, Mulberry is the only desktop
client that still supports this natively, and has recently been
resurrected as an open source project. http://www.mulberrymail.com/

I also wrote a plugin for Outlook a loooong time ago (maybe Office
XP?) that integrated IMSP sources into your outlook contact lists, but
I'm not sure if it is even compatable with the current version of
Outlook.

Thanks,
mike

--