[imp] Universal Time problem

Matthew Zaleski matthew.zaleski at spamcop.net
Tue Mar 4 14:08:24 UTC 2008

Michael M Slusarz <slusarz <at> horde.org> writes:

> Quoting Matthew Zaleski <matthew.zaleski <at> spamcop.net>:

> > Sorry to be dragging up an old thread but I ran into this problem with
> > spamcop.net's webmail package and traced back to IMP as a potential source of
> > the problem.  I too had read RFC 822 and 2822 when I ran into this
> > problem and
> > as stated above, 2822 says a client needs to properly deal with
> > these obsoleted
> > time formats (it just can't generate new email with the old formats).
> >
> > Is Otto a developer of IMP?  His response conflicts with this bug report's
> > response: http://bugs.horde.org/ticket/5717 basically claiming it
> > isn't a bug.
> >
> > Which is correct?  Is it a bug by the definition of RFC 2822 Section
> > 4?  And is
> > the problem in IMP itself or in PHP?
>
> If it is a bug, it's either a PHP or c-client bug.  Horde/IMP does not
> parsing of date functions itself.
>
> michael

I went off hunting for evidence of the bug in PHP and got this hit:
http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=42486

The PHP devs closed it as "not a bug" with a solution of "the PHP user needs to
replace 'UT' with 'UTC' before calling strtotime()".

The problem is PHP can say it isn't a bug.  IMP can't claim 'not a bug' if its
goal is RFC 2822 compliance (or RFC 822 for that matter).

I'm guessing the origin of email generators kicking out "UT" instead of "UTC"
was ignorance.  They are supposedly within 1 second of each other nearly all of
the time.

Matthew