[imp] Saving login on mobile devices

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sat Mar 8 12:03:40 UTC 2008

Hi guys,

I'm just testing out the RC packages of horde+imp+mimp (and others).

Going well so far but my biggest bug-bear thus far is when I access MIMP
from my mobile phone.

I run Horde on my office computer and as a rule I protect the whole of
the https server via Apache Basic auth that hooks into our LDAP server.

When Horde comes in, I have to auth again. I wish it could just use
Apache's credentials but I appreciate that this is not possible when
talking to the IMAP for mail (or is it? could some unified SASL method
work? All services are on the webserver if that helps?)

Anyway, accepting that I need to auth twice, the biggest problem when
using my phone is having to type in my username/password. On a mobile,
this is a PITA and I wish there was a way to remember it in e.g. a
cookie or something. I know it's less secure but "quickly checking your
email" is a bit tricky :)

I have also found two bugs in the RC version of MIMP... I presume they
are in CVS/SVN/whatever as they are fairly obvious.

Reading a message didn't work - I needed to add 32 to the flags section
of the cache loader in message.php to make it work.

Replying to messages didn't work as it tried to jump to IMP. I just had
to fix up composeLink() to use the MIMP site root define ahead of
'compose.php' and that fixed that up.

Let me know if you want patches for these.

Col