[imp] 8-bit transfer (was: IMP, Outlook and Hotmail)

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Wed Apr 23 04:08:46 UTC 2008

Quoting Harakiri <harakiri_23 at yahoo.com>:

>> is broken.  8bit
>
>> You are confusing valid MIME encodings with valid
>> _SMTP_ encodings.
>> SMTP does not allow 8bit characters.  And 8bitmime
>> extension can't be
>> used either.
>
> I think you confuse the two - your first remark is
> wrong - the message is not broken, 8bit is a valid
> value for the CTE Header, allowed by rfc for mime
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2045#section-6.1

Again, you are confusing what I am saying.  8bit is valid for MIME
data - but *not* for messages sent across the internet.  In other
words, you can represent MIME data in 8bit on your local machine to
your heart's content, but DON'T send an 8bit MIME message via RFC2822
compliant e-mail.

Several people tried to say otherwise a few months back on this list
but they were incorrect.  Read RFC 2822.  It says 7 bit data ONLY.  I
don't care about 8bitMIME extension to SMTP - it is totally irrelevant
for a MUA.  A MUA creates an RFC 2822 compliant message and then
passes it off to the mail transport agent.  That mail transport agent
can do whatever it wants to transport the message - but when it
reaches the final destination, it better be pieced back together
exactly how we sent it.  And the absolute only way to do this is to
send in 7bit.

So that's why I am saying that message (the focus of this thread) is
broken.  because the individual who provided a copy of the message
posted the headers of that message *after* it went through mail
transport.

michael