[imp] weird IMAP conversation w/ IMP 4.2RC3

liamr at umich.edu liamr at umich.edu
Thu May 15 14:43:32 UTC 2008

We have witnesses a weird conversation between IMP and our IMAP
servers that our IMAP team suspects to be the cause of a huge outage
on Monday night..

> 1210861886>A0001 OK User logged in^M
<1210861886<00000002 CAPABILITY^M
> 1210861886>* CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ACL QUOTA LITERAL+
> MAILBOX-REFERRALS NA
MESPACE UIDPLUS ID NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND
BINARY SORT TH
READ=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES ANNOTATEMORE IDLE LOGINDISABLED^M
00000002 OK Completed^M
<1210861886<00000003 STATUS INBOX| (MESSAGES RECENT UNSEEN UIDNEXT
UIDVALIDITY)^
> 1210861887>00000003 NO Mailbox does not exist^M
<1210861887<00000004 NOOP^M
> 1210861887>00000004 OK Completed^M

Specifically, the "STATUS INBOX|" that shows up frequently in our
protocol logs.
I've got 4.2RC4 on a test server, and haven't seen "STATUS INBOX|" in
any of the logs on that box since we upgraded.

Any idea what was going on?  What the change was?  Can someone point
me to a CVS entry?

Liam