[imp] cache lifetime decision?

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Tue May 20 17:10:55 UTC 2008

Quoting Liam Hoekenga <liamr at umich.edu>:

>>> With the new release, I see that many (most?) of the caches default to
>>> having a lifetime of 86400 seconds (24 hours).  What's the reasoning /
>>> benefit to this?
>>
>> No real reason - 1 day/24 hours is just a nice round, easily
>> understood timeframe I guess.
>
> But.. if someone visits the page with 24 hours, the caches don't have
> to be built from scratch?

Correct.  In practice, the mailbox list/message caches should be set
as long as possible to retain that information as long as possible.
This is why memcache is so great for this (you can set it for an
extremely long time, but data not used the longest will get pushed out
once the memcache pool is full).  But we need small default lifetimes
simply because the default caching is files, and we don't want to
exhaust the local filesystem in the default configuration.

michael