[imp] further issues

Michael Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Wed May 28 21:46:18 UTC 2008

Quoting "Spiro Harvey, Knossos Networks Ltd" <spiro at knossos.net.nz>:

>>> I prefer to be able to control Imp (and horde) through the config files
>>> directly.
>> This is asking for trouble.  These files are not designed to be fully
>> configured by hand from scratch.
>
> Actually, your documentation invites this trouble. Quoting from section
> 4 of the horde SECURITY document:
>
> "Note that the last line makes all files unwritable by any user (only
> root can override this). This makes the site secure, but may make it
> more difficult to administrate. In particular, it will defeat the Horde
> administrative configuration interface, forcing you to update the Horde
> configuration files manually (as per the INSTALL instructions)."

While I can see why reading that line might make someone think that
(perhaps that file needs to be changed?), if you read the INSTALL
documents it says *nothing* about creating conf.php files for
applications from scratch - it explains how to log into the
administration GUI.  Even if you did, indeed, create "completely
fascist permissions" as the paragraph your quote is from explains how
to do, I still do not think it's too much of an expectation that on a
major upgrade such as this, an administrator would at least look at
the configuration interface and see that they need to be updated...and
these files really do not need to be modified in the normal course of
running Horde, so once they are generated, the permissions could be
set back to fascist-level if that is what you desire. Again, all I'm
talking about is dealing with the changes that go along with a major
upgrade....to tweak/modify existing configuration files to *change*
something is a different story IMO.

Given all the backends that Horde supports, each with it's own set of
unique $conf[] requirements, plus all the other configuration options
that Horde has, it would be a fairly impracticable task to create a
new configuration from scratch.

> I thought relying on GUI-based administration was the domain of legacy
> operating systems.

What would make you say that...even if you can equate Horde to an
operating system?

Thanks,
mike

--