[imp] Spam issues, need help.

Dos Wizard magician at euretirio.gr
Tue Jun 10 07:42:54 UTC 2008

Hello,

I am running a free webmail service based on IMP, and while I had
successfully controlled incoming spam on the mail server level, I have
issues of outgoing spam, thus someone attempts to use an automated bot
process to send outgoing spam via horde.

Now, probably I would need the following measures:
a) To use captcha on the login box of horde. Is there any mod around for
that, or I should alter the code myself?
b) To call spamc directly from horde per each mail sent to block
whatever spamassassin can block as spam.
c) To put a delay routine which would allow only one mail per two
minutes to be sent per account
d) To trim a setting to disallow someone to replace the sender e-mail
given by the service thus instead of send <user>@<myfreemail>.tld to
change it to <myspamname>@<myspamdomain>.tld

The problem is that users have sometimes stupid passwords like 1234 or
12345 making very easy for a spammer to break into accounts, with
trivial automated bot process.

Now what I need:
for (a) I need someone to point where in the code, is the imap
authentication routine. (To alter it). Or if there's a mod around for that.
for (b) and (c) where in the code is the routine which connects to imap
to send mails.
for (d) which is the setting (obvious).

Best Regards
Nick.

PS: In the meanwhile I am planning to run the service in https:// there
are fewer robots able to understand SSL around.