[imp] search msg size in KB

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Tue Jun 10 07:47:28 UTC 2008

Zitat von "Michael M Slusarz" <slusarz at horde.org>:

> Quoting "Jan Schneider" <jan at horde.org>:
>
>> Zitat von "Michael M Slusarz" <slusarz at horde.org>:

>>> Agreed - changing this to search for KB (or MB) will break all current
>>> virtual folders unless some kind of in-place updating of preference
>>> data is done.
>>
>> Why? All you have to do is to calculate to bytes before storing it in
>> the virtual folder preference, and the opposite when reading it.
>
> How do you tell whether the the previous search was in bytes, KB, or
> MB? (I would not agree on any change that would simply make KB the
> default - I think bytes makes more sense as a default than KB).
> Scenario:
>
> 1. User searches for something in KB.
> 2. Search returns no result.
> 3. When search is reloaded, his search will be displayed in bytes, not KB.
>
> Although not incorrect behavior, it probably isn't the expected
> behavior.  Additionally, the textified representations of the search
> will be incorrect also.  Thus the need to alter the stored virtual
> folder value in someway to indicate the search type.

I think it's safe to assume that the user entered the lowest number
possible with the units available. Thus we can calculate back from the
bytes to largest unit possible without loss. We do something similar
in Kronolith when calculating alarms (saved in minutes) to hours and
days.

E.g. the user enter 2 KB, we save 2048. When displaying the value
again, we see that we can divide by 1024 without loss. If he entered
2000 bytes instead, we would display 2000 bytes.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/