[imp] Imp 4.2 weirdness

Kevin Konowalec webadmin at ualberta.ca
Fri Jul 11 05:54:15 UTC 2008

On Jul 10, 2008, at 5:48 PM, Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:

> Quoting Kevin Konowalec <webadmin at ualberta.ca>:
>
>> To which I responded "Ah HAH!".  So I looked in the permissions
>> setup, where I had added two permissions settings (max_recipients
>> and max_timelimit).  Sure enough in the Mail (imp) permission for
>> all authenticated users, all 4 checkboxes (show, read, edit,
>> delete) were unchecked.  I checked "read" and saved it and
>> immediately things went back to normal.
>>
>> So my questions are:
>>
>> 1)  Did this actually solve the problem or am I going to piss off
>> my users again when I put it back into production tomorrow morning?
>
> You may piss them off, but not because of this. :)

That's more likely than not.  It's definitely a weird feeling to have
75000 people simultaneously curse your name ;)

>> 2)  Why would users be able to work normally for so long before
>> horde decided it wanted to enforce the permissions?  Should they
>> not have been failing right from the get-go?
>
> Had you added the permissions before, did you add it at some point
> after launch? When you added the max_* permissions the parent
> permission would be autocreated; that's when you would have had
> trouble.

No I had added the permissions prior to launch, which is why it was so
odd that it wouldn't fail right from the get-go.

>> 3)  What are all the various permissions for (show, read, edit,
>> delete)?  Which ones should be set?
>
> For an application, the only relevant ones are show and read. Show
> means you can see that the application is installed; read means you
> can use it.

Should both show and read be explicitly set or does read imply show?

Thanks!!