[imp] Why would dimp be slower to generate message list than imp?

Gimili gimili17 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 01:05:33 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 12:50 PM, Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>
wrote:

> Quoting gimili <gimili17 at gmail.com>:
>
>  Why would dimp be *significantly* slower to generate message list than imp
>> on a large mailbox?
>>

> DIMP isn't slower per se - both DIMP and IMP use the exact same functions
> to generate the message lists.  However, DIMP processes a larger chunk of
> messages at a time than IMP does.  In a typical mailbox, IMP displays by
> default 20 messages per page while DIMP downloads, by default, 7 times the
> size of the current viewport (if the current viewport is 20 messages, DIMP
> downloads the message information for 140 messages).  The tradeoff is
> slightly slower initial display in DIMP for subsequent instantaneous
> scrolling through the mailbox (at least the portion that is loaded) while in
> IMP, you would have to wait for each subsequent page to load which takes
> much longer and also hammers the server (a single request for message info
> 140 messages is more than 700% more efficient than 7 requests for 20
> messages each).

Thanks kindly for explanation.  This was not "slightly slower".  It was so
slow I could hardly use it.  I went to imp's options and changed my viewport
from 200 messages to 20 and now dimp works.  With 200 and a large inbox dimp
does not work very well at all.  I am not sure if the total number of
messages makes a difference as everything seemed slow with the display set
to 200 messages per page.

>  I also find if I delete a message it just puts a line through it whereas
>> this works perfectly in imp.
>>

> This sounds like the bug that was discovered immediately after 1.0 was
> released and has already been fixed for 1.0.1.
>
> michael

Cool.  I will watch for 1.0.1.
Thanks again!
gimili