[imp] Horde/IMP with kerberos5

Liam Hoekenga liamr at umich.edu
Tue Jul 15 14:35:07 UTC 2008

The kerberos 5 PHP extension doesn't actually do anything with
credentials.  It just knows how to check your kerberos realm for a
valid account / password combination.

If you're trying to do what I think you're trying to do, you're going
to need a login mechanism that actually obtains credentials.  If UW
c-client is compiled with GSSAPI support, PHP IMAP extension will
support GSSAPI.

You'll probably want to look at something like mod_auth_kerb, which
presents a basic-auth style login box, validates accounts against your
kerberos realm, and can obtain credentials, which can then be used
with PHP IMAP / c-client.  You'd then need a Horde authenticator that
used $_SERVER['REMOTE_USER'] as the source of the user name.

mod_auth_kerb is probably the easiest thing to do, in that it's stand
alone.  You need to get a keytab for your server, but otherwise,
there's no real infrastructure work that needs to be done.

It's also pretty easy to integrate your Horde installation with a
WebISO (Institutional Sign-on) / SSO (Single Sign-on).  We're using
CoSign (written here at UMich), and it can obtain kerberos credentials
on behalf of the user.  I have not used competing WebISOs (PubCookie,
WebAuth, CAS) but believe that all of them should have the ability to
obtain kerberos credentials and that Horde could be similarly
integrated with those technologies.

Liam