[imp] message cache performance / parseAddressList

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Fri Aug 15 06:58:17 UTC 2008

Quoting Matthew Dunham <matthew.dunham at ic.ucsb.edu>:

> Folks -
>
> So I'm looking at cache performance in 4.2.1RC1. Once I've logged in
> and my mailbox cache has been populated, I still see
> IMP_UI_Mailbox->getFrom spending running parseAddressList every time
> I refresh a mailbox page.
>
> It looks like the PEAR Mail_RFC822 parser is just doing a buncha
> address validation, but it's rather expensive performance-wise Is
> there any reason the getFrom stuff isn't cached? Can it be?

We currently only cache the results from the IMAP server.  No real
reason other than it is easy, can all be done in one place in the
code, and that we do stuff with the e-mail addresses other than what
is returned from getFrom().  Essentially, the current caching code is
designed to reduce the load from the IMAP->PHP server, not to reduce
the load when creating the view.

How expensive performance-wise are these calls (i.e. where are you
getting your performance data)?  Obviously we can look into caching
this data if would significantly help - the problem we run into is
making our cache data store so large that we ruin any advantage from
the cached data due to the overhead in retrieving the cached data.

michael