[imp] MIME structure problem (Re: Parsing URLs in message bodies)

Janne Peltonen janne.peltonen at helsinki.fi
Mon Sep 8 16:29:52 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 11:59:23AM -0400, Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:
> Quoting Janne Peltonen <janne.peltonen at helsinki.fi>:
>
>> This is probably a stupid question and I've just been too tired to
>> understand what would be the right place to look for instructions, but -
>> how do I enable URL parsing & rendering as a link in IMP 4.2? I've some
>> users complaining about not being able to "just click on the link" and
>> having to copy & paste it...
>
> We already do. If these are HTML messages, then the sender is
> responsible for deciding what is linked and what isn't - we don't muck
> with existing HTML.

OK, so there is no way to accidentally turn that feature off? (What I've
learned in these two weeks after upgrading to IMP 4.2 (from 3.0) that if
you have 30 000+ users in a multidisciplinary university, there isn't
anything stupid with a program that can be done that nobody wouldn't...)
Then it's probably something else, like my users trying to read the links
from the "Message Source" view... ;-P

...OH NO. I just re-read the problem report, and that's exactly what
that user had tried. And the real problem was, the user couldn't see the
message body (which, indeed, was in html) at all in the Message view,
she only saw the headers (containing the "Parts" header, but all the
text/html parts missing) and where the body text should've been, "This
message contains no parts that could be viewed".

I (or one of my colleagues) will probably file a proper bug report once
we got a permission from the user to use her message as an example. We
tried to render the message using IMP 3.0, Pine, Mutt and Mozilla
thunderbird, and each got its MIME structure right and viewed the
message.

Thanks, and sorry for asking completely the wrong question at first. I
should probably go home now, I've been doing way too much overtime
lately (it's nearly 8pm here) ;-)

--
Janne Peltonen <janne.peltonen at helsinki.fi> PGP Key ID: 0x9CFAC88B
Please consider membership of the Hospitality Club (http://www.hospitalityclub.org)