[imp] Question about filename handling in MIME parts under IMP 3.2 (using PHP5)

Stanley Yuen (ITSC) stanley-yuen at cuhk.edu.hk
Tue Sep 9 07:35:45 UTC 2008

Dear all,

Our site has been using Horde 2.2 and IMP 3.2 with PHP version 4.3 for a
couple of years.  We have upgraded PHP to version 5.1 this Summer.
Recently we receive user report that, when they tried to forward an e-mail
with attachment to others in IMP, the filename of that attachment would be
"unnamed".   For example, if the forwarded e-mail contains 3 attachments,
there would be 3 "unnamed" attachments sent to the recipient.   The
recipient thus has to tell the user to resent again, i.e. not using forward.

We traced the logic and found that those "unnamed" attachments forwarded
would have no "Content Description" as MIME header.   We tried to modify the
file, Structure.php, under /horde/lib/MIME, but was unable to solve it.   As
no source code was changed during ugprade, the problem was likely caused by
upgrade of PHP version.  Did anyone know there was any difference of MIME
header handling in PHP 4 and 5?

P.S. We plan to upgrade IMP in a few months.  But seemed our impatient users
couldn't wait so long.

Best regards,
Stanley