[imp] moving user data from one instance to another

Jesse Ross jross at broad.mit.edu
Mon Sep 22 20:32:34 UTC 2008

Hello,

A sysadmin here tried to upgrade our Horde/IMP install without an
appropriate backup strategy.  We're left with a system that can take a
minute or two to do any transactions.  I'm not at all confident that it's
even consistent in which files are from which version.

Since our configuration has years of cruft anyways, I am tempted to start
anew.  I've gotten a new install going on the same machine as the old one,
and it is plenty responsive.

However, just pulling the plug on the old instance is a problem politically,
as our users have set their preferences, including the usual complicated
filters and such, and they would be upset to lose that configuration!

What I'm wondering is whether it's possible to dump the user data from one
instance of Horde/IMP, and put it into another.  I tried a naive strategy of
dumping the horde_users and horde_prefs tables from the old database, and
importing them into the new, but that didn't work (I couldn't see any of my
user's preferences) so I backed out.  Does anyone have any ideas for how to
accomplish this?  My apologies if this is covered anywhere - I have read up
as much as I can, and been watching this list for a few days, but I may have
missed something.

Thanks very much!
Jesse Ross
Systems Administrator