[imp] Vista/IE/IMP attachment weirdness

Kevin Konowalec webadmin at ualberta.ca
Tue Sep 23 21:36:40 UTC 2008

Okay we've got a strange one here.  I'll try to explain it as best I
can...

We're running:
	- Horde 3.2.1
	- IMP 4.2
	- PHP 5.2.3

The complaints coming in have been that people are having problems
downloading attachments.  They claim they click on the download icon
and a box pops up saying it's looking for the file information and
then it just sits and spins, never downloading the attachment.

So on investigation we found that we WERE able to re-create the
problem...but ONLY on Windows Vista running IE 7.  This seemed to only
be a problem with certain file formats.  For example, .doc
and .docx, .xls, .rtf, etc would fail but others, such as .pdf, would
open immediately.  When I finally found the browser settings (which
took forever... they moved everything for IE7 so I don't know where
anything is anymore) it said that .doc/.docx, for example, were
associated with Word... so it doesn't look like a file association
problem.  The same thing happens when you simply try to download and
save the file without opening it.  To me it's almost as if IE7/Vista
isn't talking to IMP properly so the download is never initiated.
It's also not the file itself, since the same file can be downloaded
in IE7/Vista from Hotmail.

I'm also being told that when you attempt to open certain file types
(mentioned above) if you click on the filename (if it's clickable) the
file opens, but if you click on the download icon you see the behavior
I described above).  Files like .docx that imp doesn't know about (I'm
guessing) don't have clickable filenames to associate with a program
so there's no alternative for them.

There are two workarounds we've found so far.  First... use Firefox.
Using Firefox on Vista works 100% of the time.  No problem at all.
The other workaround seems to be to simply forward the message with
the attachment and when inside the compose screen click on the
attachment to preview it.  That also works all the time in IE7/Vista.

Something's screwy... anyone have any clue what it might be?  I know
this is kind of a vague description but it's a tough nut to crack
since it seems to only affect a few people in a few certain
instances.  We had to borrow a student's computer to be able to
recreate the problem (nobody is running vista here... and this is just
another reason why)