[imp] IMP: hook: post-login: write to LDAP server?

Patrick Ben Koetter p at state-of-mind.de
Wed Sep 24 18:32:09 UTC 2008

* Jan Schneider <jan at horde.org>:
>> I need to create a large number (~ 100.000) of Mailaccounts in advance, but I
>> don't want my SMTP server to receive mail for those recipients and store all
>> the spam that makes it through the filters, unless a user has successfully
>> logged into IMP. The login is supposed to activate the account and make it
>> know to the SMTP server.
>>
>> My idea is to define an attribute in LDAP and set it to FALSE until the user
>> logs into IMP and have this a condition in the SMTP servers query to the LDAP
>> server. Then, after login, a script runs once and sets the value to
>> TRUE. From
>> that moment on the condition is satisfied in the SMTP servers query and the
>> recipient becomes a valid recipient.
>>
>> Reading through the docs, I guess, imp/config/hooks.php is the place to
>> implement a script that will alter the LDAP attribute, right? Is there a
>> runonlyonce hook or will the script have to run every time a user logs in?
>
> If you do it be this hook, then it will indeed run on each login.
> Alternatively you can:
> a) create a custom maintenance task the only runs on the first login,
> unattended.

Indeed. MAINTENANCE_FIRST_LOGIN looks interesting. I've searched around a
little bit, but couldn't find any real documentation. Is it read the source or
did I just miss a document I should read if I want to use
MAINTENANCE_FIRST_LOGIN?

The wiki entry "ImpAutomaticDefaultFolderCreation"
<http://wiki.horde.org/ImpAutomaticDefaultFolderCreation> looks like a good
starter.

> b) let the SMTP server check the Horde preference backend whether the
> last_login preference exists for the user.

By saying "Horde preference backend" you refer to an LDAP server? You mean if
I'd stored user relevant parts of IMP configuration in along with the RDN in
LDAP I'd have a last_login preference at hands? That sounds interesting too.

p at rick

--
state of mind
Agentur für Kommunikation, Design und Softwareentwicklung

Patrick Koetter            Tel: 089 45227227
Echinger Strasse 3         Fax: 089 45227226
85386 Eching               Web: http://www.state-of-mind.de