[imp] Excessive memory usage

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Thu Sep 25 00:51:56 UTC 2008

I'm using the latest RC releases of Horde and IMP.

One of my users complained that he couldn't view a large message.  The
message has 11 Appledouble JPEG image attachments that are about 2.5MB
each.  When he clicked on the message to view it, all he got was a blank
screen after a short while.

The message size is 34MB, and I found that I cannot display the message
until I increase the PHP memory limit to 250MB.

The message parts look like this (from Alpine):

     [ Part 2.1, Application/APPLEFILE (Name: "IMG_1210.JPG") 98 KB. ]
     [ Not Shown. Use the "V" command to view or save this part. ]

     [ Part 2.2, Image/JPEG (Name: "IMG_1210.JPG") 2.4 MB. ]
     [ Not Shown. Use the "V" command to view or save this part. ]

Also, it doesn't generate a thumbnail for any of the images and clicking
on the "view thumbnail" link in its place open a new window but it is
blank.

If I send myself a new message with the same exact images, but not in
Appledouble wrappers, then it can display the message and the thumbnails
correctly even with the PHP memory limit set to 100MB (our production
setting).

Looking through the Appledouble viewer code in IMP, I'm guessing that
there are simply too many copies of the same data being made, bloating the
memory size.

Is this a known issue/bug?

 	Andy