[imp] Vista/IE/IMP attachment weirdness

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Thu Sep 25 03:58:42 UTC 2008

Quoting Kevin Konowalec <webadmin at ualberta.ca>:

> Okay we've got a strange one here.  I'll try to explain it as best I can...
>
> We're running:
> 	- Horde 3.2.1
> 	- IMP 4.2
> 	- PHP 5.2.3
>
> The complaints coming in have been that people are having problems
> downloading attachments.  They claim they click on the download icon
> and a box pops up saying it's looking for the file information and
> then it just sits and spins, never downloading the attachment.
>
> So on investigation we found that we WERE able to re-create the
> problem...but ONLY on Windows Vista running IE 7.  This seemed to
> only be a problem with certain file formats.  For example, .doc and
> .docx, .xls, .rtf, etc would fail but others, such as .pdf, would
> open immediately.  When I finally found the browser settings (which
> took forever... they moved everything for IE7 so I don't know where
> anything is anymore) it said that .doc/.docx, for example, were
> associated with Word... so it doesn't look like a file association
> problem.  The same thing happens when you simply try to download and
> save the file without opening it.  To me it's almost as if IE7/Vista
> isn't talking to IMP properly so the download is never initiated.
> It's also not the file itself, since the same file can be downloaded
> in IE7/Vista from Hotmail.

Testing on my machine, downloading .doc attachments works fine.  That
being said, it is also important to note that I have OpenOffice
configured to view .doc files on my system.  So an interesting test
would be find a machine that is having issues, installing OpenOffice,
having OpenOffice view those attachments, and then attempting to
download a .doc file again.  But I can verify that this doesn't seem
to be an inherent Vista issue.

BTW, using Vista SP1, my IE 7 is listed as version 7.0.6001.18000

michael