[imp] Excessive memory usage

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Thu Oct 9 15:07:58 UTC 2008

On 25.09.08 02:26, Michael M Slusarz wrote:
> Yes.  See here: http://cvs.horde.org/incubator/Imap_Client

Do you also expect it to be reasonably fast and not too CPU-intensive than
binary c-client?

> >Could some memory-effective libraries, binary or PHP-bases, help there?
> >(e.g. effective MIME decoding/encoding)

> MIME processing is always going to be somewhat memory intensive.
> Streams *may* be a solution to limit memory when it comes to the body
> part of the message. however, at some point, that entire message is
> going to be in memory at some point (with the possible exception of
> streaming message part data when downloading a message).

I understand that it will be memory-hungry. I just think it's often TOO
hungry. needing 128MB of memory to process 20MB mail is too much imho.

I prefer binary packages (if they are properly coded) - they should be
faster than PHP (no matter how effective is the zend engine).

hmmm when I had the memory problems, I noticed than php failed in functions
that were doing base64 encoding... something that really could be done in
binary (and there is PECL mime library iirc)
Nothing is fool-proof to a talented fool.