[imp] wordwrap message lines at 72

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Tue Nov 18 17:04:28 UTC 2008

On 15.11.08 11:48, Jan Schneider wrote:
> Though now that I've digging deeper, it rather seems to be a common
> myth that the optimal line length for reading is 70-80 characters per
> line.

I think that the "common myth" refers more to the backwards compatibility of
80 cps (standard width) terminals rather than reading speed. It of course
applies mostly for MUA's incapable of reading flowed messages.

> See http://psychology.wichita.edu/surl/usabilitynews/72/LineLength.asp for
> example. I guess it doesn't really matter how long the lines are. But it
> still doesn't help if they are of different length, though this isn't
> anything we have any influence on.

I feel better reading shorter lines. I guess that's also why newspaper
columns are usually so narrow (http://www.raizlabs.com/blog/?p=187)

To be on-topic... Yes, mixed (flowed and non-flowed) documents are not nice.
But still better than mails re-wrapped by incapable MUA as Outlook
I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.