[imp] Lost recomposed message after logging out

Sean Coleman coleman at boulder.nist.gov
Tue Dec 2 08:34:01 UTC 2008

Several people have asked why messages being composed and not sent get
lost if the
user was logged out. In older versions of imp, the software would let
the user know that
a message was being composed when logged out and bring back the
composition window
with the text of the message as it was when the user was logged out.

I have figured out the reason why the new software no longer behaves in
this manner. Line 53 of
imp/lib/base.php has the following line:

$compose_page = (isset($_SESSION['imp']['viewmode']) &&
$_SESSION['imp']['viewmode'] == 'imp') && strstr($_SERVER['PHP_SELF'],
'compose.php');$compose_page = (isset($_SESSION['imp']['viewmode']) &&
$_SESSION['imp']['viewmode'] == 'imp') && strstr($_SERVER['PHP_SELF'],
'compose.php');

$compose_page will always be false when a user logs out since
$_SESSION['imp'] will be NULL, therefore
the $RECOMPOSE variable will never get set to true on lines 102 and 122.
Since $RECOMPOSE is never
set to TRUE, the code to display the current composed message will never
happen.

I hope this helps in resolving the issue.

Sean Coleman