[imp] reset sort order of a folder

Steve Paras-Charlton steve at falchion.com
Wed Jan 21 22:40:30 UTC 2009

Ok, got an odd question here.

I have a very large mailbox (20000+ messages) served to imp via imap
with a Maildir back-end.   Unfortunately it is slow (yes I know I
should clean up), and it is even slow enough that if I search in it, I
get "no messages" regardless of the search criteria (I expect there's
a timeout, but I haven't had a chance to look carefully).

My real problem is that I accidentally clicked about my first message
and it is trying to sort my INBOX by From: field.  This results in the
above mentioned suspected timeout, and I get "no messages" in my
INBOX.  This makes reading my mail difficult, and unfortunately, since
there are no messages, no headers are displayed, so I can't change the
sort order back to msgno.

I've tried (without much hope) just resetting the default sort order,
and as expected, no change.

Is there a way to reset the sort order on a folder without viewing it?

Thanks in advance,
Steve