[imp] Undisplayed messages deleted - quick release of IMP 4.3.4 or patches?

John Murtari jmurtari at thebook.com
Thu Mar 12 11:28:40 UTC 2009

Folks (Mike),

     We were seeing the following with IMP 4.3.3:

>         The problem we are seeing is this.  Starting with an empty
> cache, simple POP, no IMAP.  Login and check your INBOX.  You can
> read through all the messages fine.   Delete one of the messages,
> from then on any later message seems off-by-one, i.e. I see the
> correct subject as shown in the IMP summary display, but if I click
> to read the message, the body looks to be from the next message?

     Mike Slusarz confirmed this was a known issue and a ticket/fix
was in for 4.3.4:  http://bugs.horde.org/ticket/8035

     We just got a more severe error report that is also a side
effect of this, but the result is many unread messages can be deleted.
This would seem pretty severe and I hope a quick release of fixes
can be made.   The scenario is:

     Assume a display setting of 10 messages, and 25 new message
in the INBOX.  The user sees the first 10, they are all SPAM,
chooses 'select' all and deletes them.  The screen then shows the
next 10 (but if you do a mouseover the links, you will see the
index count is off by 10). The total msg count is 15.  These 10
are also SPAM, he does a  'select all' and delete.

     Instead of deleting those 10, IMP actually attempts to delete
messages 10-20 in the mailbox (which ends up deleting the last 5).
When the screen refreshes, the user still sees the 10 SPAM messages
and wonders what happened?  The total message count drops from 15
to 10 -- which confuses the user, and their email is gone.

     THis is a bit contrived, but as you can see, doing a select
all, after any type of intermediate deletion, will cause IMP to
delete undisplayed messages.

     I can see the patches at the bug link above.  It appears
two changes were made to IMAP.php and one to Mailbox.php.  Would
like to get some confirmation that applying those alone should fix
us with no side-effects.

--
                                          John