[imp] Generating From headers with a catch-all email address?

Lloyd Zusman ljz at asfast.com
Thu Mar 26 04:39:01 UTC 2009

I'm using a very recent version of Horde/IMP, and I'm trying to figure
out if it's possible to do something.

I manage an SMTP server, and I have created a catch-all address for
a certain domain. This address receives all emails directed to
any address at that domain for which a specific mailbox has not been
set up. I want to be able to access these mails via IMP and reply to
some of them, and I want the "From" address to be whatever address the
mail was sent to.

For example, assume that the domain is "mydomain.tld", and that
catchall account is set up to be "catchall at mydomain.tld". Now, if I
receive emails in this catchall mailbox that are addressed to
random1 at mydomain.tld, random2 at mydomain.tld, and random3 at mydomain.tld,
is there any way I can tell IMP to set the "From" header to whatever
address the email was sent to?

In other words, even though I log in to "catchall at mydomain.tld", I
want my reply to the mail addressed to random1 at mydomain.tld to have
random1 at mydomain.tld in the "From" line, and likewise for
random2 at mydomain.tld and random3 at mydomain.tld.

I know that I can manually alter the "From" line for each of these

Thanks in advance.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz at asfast.com