[imp] Generating From headers with a catch-all email address?

Eric Jon Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Wed Apr 1 17:45:56 UTC 2009

>> I see the argument for including the code to support the hook, but not
>> provide his actual hook code...  Then people who do want a pre-reply hook
>> would be able to write one (say, maybe it checks for replies to known
>> phishing addresses, or something else potentially useful).
>
> We always provide examples, for a good reason. If we are going to
> add that hook, we should find a useful example. If we don't find
> one, then the hook doesn't make sense to me.

Unless I'm misunderstanding, I can think of a couple potential ones...

We could poll EDU horde/imp installs about the phishing example
above...  Lots of talk about this kind of thing on EDU mailing lists,
and a lot of EDU's use Horde/IMP...   The EDU's have a list of phishing
replies, mostly used now at the MTA, but could be useful at the MUA also
for user education in addition to stoping the phish replies...

Could also be something about "replying to list" when the list sets
the reply-to to be the list address instead of the sender...  An
"are you sure" kind of thing...

I don't see a use for the original topic (change from based on reply)
but I can see where other cases might be useful (stop/verify replies to
certain addresses, etc).

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

This message is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind,
either expressed or implied.  Use this message at your own risk.