[imp] Submit mail slow, partly solved, questions remain

LALOT Dominique dom.lalot at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 18:26:48 UTC 2009

Just put a local smtp mailer like postfix or sendmail with a very simple
setup, there will be no problems then. That mta will the post to your very
sophisticated MTA which could have some delays like DNS resolutions,
bayesians checks, and so on.
local postfix will manage the queue, and imp will have no problem to send a
mail.
If I remember, it was said somewhere in the doc: better to use a local mta

Dom

2009/4/5 Peter Steen <steen at ing-steen.se>

> Hello Folks!
>
> I am fighting a problem which happens when you submit mail.
> All the environment with firewalls and DNS, mail relay is in order.
>
> When you click submit, it takes around 50-70 seconds till mail form goes
> away.
> VERY annoying! But email is delivered normally.
>
> It is the smarthost (macafee security appliance) causing the delay by
> unknown reason:
>
>   Apr  5 12:15:52 darkstar sendmail[27742]: n35AFq9P027742: from=
> steen at ing-steen.se, size=770106, class=0, nrcpts=1, msgid=<
> 20090405121552.131758uu9zha4ycc at 172.16.1.21>, relay=apache at localhost
>   Apr  5 12:16:54 darkstar sendmail[27744]: n35AFq9P027742: to=
> psteen at se.ibm.com,delay=00:01:02, delay=00:01:02, mailer=relay,
> pri=890106, relay=[10.30.0.108] [10.30.0.108], dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent (2.0.0
> n35AHZNW096104 Message accepted for delivery)
>
> Horde/Imp is setup to use local sendmail binary for delivery, direct
> delivery to the smarthost
> did offcourse not overcome the submit delay.
>
> To workaround this I did changes to submit.mc in sendmail configuration:
>   FEATURE(`msp', `[10.30.0.108]')dnl
>   define(`confDELIVERY_MODE',`b')dnl background the submit
>
> This works, the mail form goes away directly and mail is delivered.
>
> QUESTION now is, what if there arrives something like address or host not
> found etc from the appliance.
> The delivery is forked, how does horde/imp handle this, will the email just
> vanish in the blue ?
>
> Regards //
>        //  Peter Steen

Dominique LALOT