[imp] Deleted messages not moved to trash from client applications

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Wed Apr 8 16:18:41 UTC 2009

Quoting "E. John Messersmith III" <ejm at ejm3.net>:

> I have been a catalog.com member for years and because they recently started
> to offer IMAP email access I decided to switch my Gmail IMAP account over to
> webhero so that everything would be in one place. I have experienced a
> difference between how IMAP is implemented on webhero.com. I have
> successfully configured Outlook, Outlook Express, Windows Mail (Vista) and
> my iPhone to connect and send and receive emails via webhero.com. However,
> when I move a message from one folder to another or delete a message using
> ANY of the above clients (except my iPhone), the effected message REMAINS in
> the current folder and is simply marked for deletion. On my iPhone it works
> properly or should I say like a POP3 account. I would consider that this is
> (purely) a client side feature issue EXCEPT for the fact that all the
> clients listed above worked properly with Gmail IMAP with no additional
> settings. Therefore, there must be some IMP/Horde or IMAP configuration that
> can be set in order for messages to be moved to the trash when they are
> deleted using a remote client. NOTE: When a message is deleted using the
> web/horde online interface it is moved to the trash and does NOT remain in
> the current folder is NOT marked for deletion. This is due to the fact that
> I have selected the option in the Horde interface to operate in this manner.

My guess is that Gmail is simply hiding any message with a deleted
flag.  That is not necessarily the 'proper' behavior - since those
messages are technically still a part of the mailbox.  Indeed, the
client has to do quite a bit of magic on its side - counting deleted
messages, subtracting that count from the # of messages reported in
the mailbox - in order to implement this sort of view.

This is more of a client configuration issue - you should configure
those clients to expunge deleted messages on exit, since that appears
to be the behavior you are looking for.

michael