[imp] Attachment corruption due to incorrect mime type

Tornoci Laszlo torlasz at xenia.sote.hu
Mon Jun 1 11:45:38 UTC 2009

Ronan SALMON wrote:
> Tornoci Laszlo <torlasz at xenia.sote.hu> a écrit :
>> my problem is, some binary files attached get recognized as
>> plain/text, and as a result are coded as quoted-printable. This leads
>> to corruption of the files, as explained here:
>> http://lists.horde.org/archives/imp/Week-of-Mon-20060424/045099.html
>>
>> If I make a binary file like:
>> dd bs=1024 count=10 </dev/urandom > 10kB
>> that's full of nonASCII bytes, 'file' says data:
>>
>> $ file 10kB
>> 10kB: data
>>
>> If I send a message through IMP with '10kB' attached (browser:
>> Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10)
>> Gecko/2009042708 Fedora/3.0.10-1.fc10 Firefox/3.0.10)
>>
>> it gets attached as plain/text coded as quoted-printable (and gets
>> corrupted).
>>
>> What really determines the mime-type? Does IMP accept what the browser
>> suggests? (If yes, that's a problem of Firefox). Or does IMP look at
>> the file and may override what the browser suggested? (Then
>> it's IMP's fault).
>
> Remove file "mimeTypes.rdf" in Firefox's profile folder and restart
> Firefox.

Thanks for the tip. A new mimeTypes.rdf appears in the profile after
restarting Firefox. However, the problem still persists, the attachment
gets recognized as plain/text. I really don't understand what's going
on. By the way, uploading by Thunderbird works fine, so it really looks
like it's a Firefox problem. However, the problem persists even if I
copy the mimeTypes.rdf from the Thunderbird profile to the Firefox profile!

Sorry, if this is getting offtopic here, but it is really strange, and
actually my users reported the problem to me, so that's something I need
to solve. And it is still not clear to me what 'Mime type recognition'
does in Horde. What's the purpose of this, if IMP always accepts the
browser's suggestion?

					Yours: Laszlo