[imp] IMP very slow on Centos 5

Eric Jon Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Tue Sep 29 01:47:08 UTC 2009

Quoting Wayne Catterton <ciscoswitch at putercom.org>:

> everything in horde-webmail is working, but the login is very slow, maybe
> 5-10 seconds, and anything to do with mail is slow, about the same
> response as the login.

Login and each IMP request do an IMAP login.  So it makes sense that they
are about the same speed, and suggests that your IMAP connection is the
issue.

> I have it setup to use imap/notls, and I set
> Horde authentication to IMAP as well.

If you do Horde and IMP auth via IMAP, the better way would be to set
IMP to do IMAP auth, and set Horde to use IMP for auth.

> I had first thought that maybe IMP is just slow, because of the extra's,

IMP shouldn't be much slower than the other apps, unless your IMAP connection
is the issue.  So I'd suspect that.

> I know this question has been asked alot, I've been going through all the
> posts, but I've not found anything that helps.

Check your IMAP server logs, and your horde server logs, while doing slow
things, and try to find the issue in the logs.  Do a manual telnet to the
IMAP server from the Horde/IMP server, and login, and see if it is slow.

> Any help would be extremely appreciated.

If the slowness was on intervals (runs slow for a while every 5 minutes, but
fast inbetween) then I'd have another guess as the problem.  But if all
logins and IMP mail operations are slow, then I'd suspect the IMAP connection.

BTW, you might see some improvement just setting Horde to do IMP
application authentication instead of IMAP authentication, due to caching
and such...   But I'd expect that to be a small change, and you want a
large change, so it may not be the total fix...