[imp] Scalability of rate-limiting?

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Tue Oct 6 01:04:05 UTC 2009

We are considering implementing limits on recipients per message and per
time period using the features that we have now in IMP. We have a fairly
sizable user base; it's hard to estimate concurrent connnections with
HTTP being stateless and our IMAP connections being cached with up-
imapproxyd, but I'd guess we peak around 3k concurrent users across 5
webmail front-ends.

Assuming we use the SQL driver for permissions and not DataTree, what
kind of additional overhead should we expect between the permissions
check and the outgoing e-mail logging?

Are people using these rate-limiting features with sizable installations
with success?

Wil