[imp] reconfiguring how IMP communicates with the IMAP server

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Wed Nov 4 14:33:49 UTC 2009

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009, Michael Menge wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Quoting "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday at crashcourse.ca>:
>
> >  as a short followup to my earlier post, i just copied over the
> > previous imp/ directory (very old version of IMP, but that will be
> > sufficient for now) and installed it under the current horde, at which
> > point the Mail icon now appears under horde, but no one can log in to
> > horde mail.
> >
> >  i'm guessing that's because, in the few months past, someone else
> > reconfigured IMAP on this server so that it's almost certainly using
> > different and stronger authentication.  here's the current snippet
> > from imp/config/servers.php (that allegedly used to work):
> >
> > $servers['imap'] = array(
> >    'name' => 'IMAP Server',
> >    'server' => 'localhost',
> >    'hordeauth' => false,
> >    'protocol' => 'imap/notls',
> >    'port' => 143,
> >    'folders' => '',
> >    'namespace' => '',
> >    'maildomain' => '[deleted].com',
> >    'smtphost' => 'localhost',
> >    'realm' => '',
> >    'preferred' => '',
> >    'dotfiles' => false,
> >    'hierarchies' => array()
> > );
> >
> >  that this file is now incorrect seems to be demonstrated by recent
> > entries in /tmp/horde.log of the form:
> >
> > Nov 04 08:07:59 HORDE [error] [imp] FAILED LOGIN 192.168.169.1 to
> > localhost:143[imap/notls] ... blah blah ...
> >
> >  do i just need to track down the person who did the
> > reconfiguration and ask what he did, and adjust this file
> > accordingly?  and would that be the *only* file i would need to
> > tweak?  thanks.  once this is running, i'll be updating all of the
> > relevant horde apps but, for the moment, the priority is to just
> > get email running again.
>
> You can use imp/test.php to test the IMAP connection and get hints
> how to configure imp/config/servers.php .
>
> As you use imap/notls and many recent IMAP-Server don't accept
> unencrypted authentication by default. You can try to use TLS or SSL
> and check if unencrypted authentication is allowd by you
> IMAP-Server.

  actually, i think i figured it out.  i just popped into *general*
horde configuration to see how authentication was set up since it
seemed to work properly.  what i got out of that was
imap/ssl/novalidate-cert and port 993.  i just edited imp's
servers.php file accordingly and, suddenly, i can log in to IMP mail.
so, a couple more fairly simple questions.

  i'll let the users test this out for a bit but, if i need to
configure IMP further, can i do that simply by editing the appropriate
.php file?  i realize i can go in thru horde/admin/setup and do it
graphically but, if it's a simple change (like the one above), i'm
just as happy vi'ing the right file.  is that approach equivalent?

  also, those users also use thunderbird for their e-mail so i just
want to make sure they can bounce from t-bird to IMP without having
those two clients fight with each other.  is there anything special i
should configure with IMP that ensures that it will play nicely with
other properly-configured email clients?  thanks.

rday