[imp] word files getting attached as richtext.

ANANT S ATHAVALE asa at isac.gov.in
Wed Dec 9 08:50:36 UTC 2009

Dear List,

First part:

We are using the latest stable Horde Groupware WebMail edition.

We have been getting complaints from our users that, the word files
which they attach are not readable by the recipients and themselves
from their sent-mail folder.

I had debugged and found that, Firefox's mimetypes.rdf file is getting
updated with wrong type for doc files (richtext).  So, used to tell
the users to remove this file and it used to solve the problem.  I
know, this is not the correct solution.

Has any experienced this problem.  My setup is on RHEL 5.3 where I am
using all built-in software provided by RHEL.  I have compiled and
added all the prerequisite PECL modules like fileinfo etc.

Second part:

Today, while just looking at phpinfo() output through test.php, I
observed that, for mime_magic, it was showing, invalid magic file,
disabled.

I goggled for this problem, and one of the solution was, edit
/etc/php.ini and add a line
mime_magic.magicfile="/etc/httpd/conf/magic".  And I restarted httpd,
and now I am getting mime_magic support enabled for phpinfo().  Could
this be the problem for my word file attachment related issues, which
may get solved now?

Regards
ANANT.

Regards,