[imp] Imp and Spamassassin

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Tue Feb 2 22:15:53 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

> Scanning outbound mail won't work for a variety of technical reasons.
> Most of the metadata scanners use is gone at that point.

It actually works quite well for filtering the outgoing mail from our
shared hosting servers.  For those, because so often, even the legitimate
mail has non-deliverable From: addresses, I grudgingly set the scanner to
/dev/null anything tagged as spam/virus/phish.

> At least for inbound there is a third choice - let the user decide.  We

We've got inbound covered.  I'm not worried about that direction at the
moment.  It's just annoying how frequently a dial-up user gets phished or
a Nigerian signup using stolen credit card info slips through, the account
gets used to send out some 419, and before you know what's happened, we
can't deliver any mail to yahoo, hotmail, comcast, etc.

> I've run Horde for years (decade?).  I'd avoid hacking beyond hooks and
> conf files - it makes upgrades a real pain.

I've been running it more than a decade (been on and off the list several
times) and occasionally done custom patches...some of which were accepted,
some were deemed to crazy to accept.  Google hardening imp against
spammers.