[imp] Tracking a webmail user

Jose-Marcio Martins da Cruz Jose-Marcio.Martins at ensmp.fr
Thu Mar 25 21:44:57 UTC 2010

Paul Stewart wrote:
> Hi there.
>

> New to the list and apologize in advance if this is something I missed when
> hunting around.  We do quite a bit of webhosting and run the Plesk platform
> which in turn runs the IMP webmail system.
>
> We're having a problem where on a very busy server one of the accounts for a
> customer domain has been "hijacked".  Someone has gotten their username and
> password.
>

> The problem is that tailing the maillog is nearly impossible and if I tail
> the access_log it shows the accesses and the remote IP address (somewhere in
> Europe).  Neither of these show us the user account in use. The header of
> the actual message doesn't include the username hidden anywhere neither.
>

> Is there an easy way to track down the account in question?

Maybe a look in the queue contents...

One hint for the next time, add this to the imp/config/header.php file.
It will add a header with the user ID, and the remote host.

/* Add your custom entries below this line. */

$xheader = sprintf(_("User=%s; Remote=%s; Server=%s"),
                    Auth::getAuth(),
                    $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'],
                    $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST']);

$_header['X-Webmail'] = $xheader;

  Jose Marcio MARTINS DA CRUZ           http://j-chkmail.ensmp.fr
  Ecole des Mines de Paris
  60, bd Saint Michel                      75272 - PARIS CEDEX 06
  mailto:Jose-Marcio.Martins at mines-paristech.fr