[imp] Subject encoding issue

qmail at top-consulting.net qmail at top-consulting.net
Sat May 15 15:38:23 UTC 2010

For issue #2, I found the following by printing the Ascii codes for
each letter of the troubled words in the subject.

Taking for example the word: Académico

When it's being displayed properly, it's made up of the following codes:

65 - A
99 - c
97 - a
100 - d
195 - ?
169 - ?
109 - m
105 - i
99 - c
111 - o

When it's showing incorrectly, it's made up of:

65 - A
99 - c
97 - a
100 - d
233 - ?
109 - m
105 - i
99 - c
111 - o

I got these values by running the following code:

for ($x=0;$x<strlen($msg['subject']);$x++) {
                 print ord(substr($msg['subject'],$x,1))." -
".substr($msg['subject'],$x,1)."<br>";
         }
In one example the é is made from two codes ( 195/169 ) and displays
properly while the second time around it's made from only one code (
233 ) and shows the question mark.

What gives ?

Quoting qmail at top-consulting.net: