[imp] linked attachment ( VFS ) and virusscan

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Tue Aug 24 18:03:49 UTC 2010

Quoting Andreas Moroder <andreas.moroder at sb-brixen.it>:

> as long as attachment are sent togheter with the email virus
> scanners on the gateway can scan the mail, but how can attachments
> be scanned when they are stored on the VFS and sent as attachment ?

You are correct.  There is no virus scanning of VFS attachments.  This
is beyond the scope of Horde/IMP - although I think a hook that is
triggered when an attachment is uploaded would probably be appropriate
to allow an admin to set up the necessary virusscanner.

> It is to consider that the file has to be copied to filesystem so
> that the virus scanner can scan the file and probably also the fact,
> that they must be in their original format non 7 bit MIME

Files in VFS are in binary format - not MIME.  MIME encoding is only
used for mail transport.

michael