[imp] Horde/IMP performance problems

Jochen Roderburg Roderburg at Uni-Koeln.DE
Mon Sep 13 12:31:08 UTC 2010

Hello Andreas,

Thanks for many more hints about the possible problems.

Only one remark at the moment about one of the points:

>> And database traffic in general: During my unintended "public
>> performance test" I had a situation where database connection were
>> not all accepted by our MySQL server and I saw many warnings/errors
>>  in the imp log with the names of the new groupware components
>> which  we had not in use before. I got the impression that these
>> program  parts create a lot of background activity even when they
>> are not  really used.
>
> You have not really mentioned in your first post but from this i
> guess  the biggest problem is the DB load?

> - You need to allow as many connections to the database as you have
> webserver processes and maybe persistant connections could help.

This last one was the simple cause of the DB connection problems. I
had increased the MaxClients on the Apache side to a higher values
than the max_user_connections on the DB server.

OTOH there was no significant load on the DB server, only on the webserver.
I have yet to determine the real bottleneck, enough memory was
available, CPU was more saturated. What several people noted, that
there was a unusual high amount of system CPU used, but so far no one
had a good idea where this could come from.

Best regards,
Jochen Roderburg