[imp] Unexpected deletion of drafts in DIMP

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Thu Sep 30 21:11:40 UTC 2010

Quoting Jochen Roderburg <Roderburg at Uni-Koeln.DE>:

> Another issue upon which I stumbled again when I made my tests for
> the cache problem:
>
> The IMP behaviour regarding "drafts" that I know from IMP3 is:
> I can click on a draft in the drafts folder, get it in a compose
> screen, can continue working on it and send it. After this the draft
> is still stored in the folder for future use.
>
> In the traditional Interface of IMP4 this works the same, but in
> DIMP the stored draft is unconditionally deleted after sending. No
> question, no warning, nothing, it is just gone.
>
> Bug or new future, configuration or what?
>
> This is certainly not the expected and wanted behaviour!!

Yes it is.  A draft is, by definition (RFC 3501 [2.3.2]), a "[m]essage
[that] has not completed composition."  Thus, the natural extension is
that once the message HAS completed composition, it is no longer
needed.  This is no different than any other message you compose - once
you hit send, you have no access to the content of that message anymore.

If that message wasn't deleted, eventually your Drafts folder would
contain hundreds of old drafts.  That is obviously not very useful.

If you want to keep a message around to use as a template, you should
be using stationery.

michael